Special Operating/Legal Action Fund
SPECIAL OPERATING/LEGAL ACTION FUND
The Association has a Special Operating/Legal Reserve that can be accessed by local associations and REALTORS® wishing financial assistance with legal cases which have an industry-wide impact. Requests are initiated primarily through local associations where applicable with a recommendation to AAR from the local association. Ideally, a local association should commit funds or other in-kind services in support of their position, however, that is not a requirement. The following procedure for legal assistance requests is offered to any requesting party as a guideline for submitting requests to AAR for consideration.
Procedure for the Submission of Requests for Legal Assistance
Pursuant to AAR bylaws, Article IV, AAR maintains a Legal Reserve Fund. Pursuant to Policy CEO.7 and Policy EXC.11 “[o]ne of the purposes of the Reserve Fund is to provide legal assistance to Boards and/or REALTORS® where litigation arises that can affect other REALTORS®, Boards or the Association.” The following shall be the procedure for submission of any requests for legal assistance.
- Request financial and other assistance from the local association of which the requesting party is a member. AAR’s Executive Committee will be reluctant to provide funding for cases that have not been first considered by the appropriate local association.
- Provide a written statement setting forth the purpose of the request. The written statement must at a minimum address:
- Why this case is of such a nature as to have an adverse statewide effect on REALTORS®, local association or AAR
- The amount requested
- Any other pertinent information
- Provide copies of all pertinent pleadings. The following documents should be included with the request, if available and applicable:
- Dispositive motions
- Court Orders
- Appellate briefs
The Executive Committee, with legal counsel present, shall hear and decide on all requests. The requesting party may be asked to make a presentation about the case to the Executive Committee.