Six months ago, Governor Doug Ducey issued his first Executive Order establishing a moratorium on evictions for rental housing residents impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, the Arizona REALTORS®, in conjunction with real estate partners from across the state, is still working hard to protect the financial wellbeing of tenants and landlords.
We maintain that the Executive Order constitutes government overreach, the wrongful taking of private property, and an unconstitutional violation of private contracts.
But most importantly, the Arizona REALTORS® has been fighting day-after-day to get property owner and tenant assistance programs established and funded so that unnecessary evictions and foreclosures can be avoided.
Unfortunately, Governor Ducey and his staff have failed to adequately meet the financial needs of tenants and landlords, and have been slow to enact and deploy the necessary assistance programs. Below is an updated summary of our most significant efforts thus far:
- March 23 – Essential Service designation achieved for REALTORS® and real estate services.
- April 8 – Advanced authorization obtained for Remote Online Notarization.
- July 16 – The $5M Rental Property Owners Preservation Fund is established.
- August 12 – The Arizona REALTORS® joined industry stakeholders as a financial partner to support a Special Action Petition filed with the Arizona Supreme Court, challenging the Eviction Moratorium.
- August 17
th– Legislative leaders submit a letter to Governor Ducey in support of the REALTORS®, calling on the Governor to increase and deploy assistance funds.
- September 1 – The Arizona REALTORS® filed an amicus brief in support of the Special Action Petition.
- September 4 – Legislative leaders submit a second letter to Governor Ducey in support of the Arizona REALTORS®, calling on the Governor to release program information and reaffirm the need to increase and deploy assistance funds.
- October 3 – Legislative leaders submit a third letter to Governor Ducey in support of the Arizona REALTORS®, calling on the Governor to release program information and reaffirm the need to increase and deploy assistance funds.
- October 6 – The Arizona Supreme Court reviews the Special Action Petition.
While lobbying efforts have been challenging, the Arizona REALTORS® will continue to engage with elected leaders across the state to advocate on behalf of members and private property owners with a clear message: end the eviction moratorium and deploy assistance to those in need.
Government Affairs Director
(602) 248-7787 – Ext. 481